The Battle of Sheriffmuir took place in 1715 between a Jacobite army led by John Erskine, the Earl of Mar and a British Government army led by John Campbell, the Duke of Argyll. Or were ye at the Sherra-moor, Or did the battle see, man?' On the 13th November, the two armies met on the bleak moorland of Sheriffmuir, on the high ground to the east of Dunblane.

News Rare Mary Queen of Scots prayer book to be auctioned at Christies in July ... but I don't think that would have altered how he intended to fight the battle and how it actually turned out. Latest Posts. Pray come ye here the fight tae shun or keep the sheep wi' me man Or was you at the Sheriffmuir and did the battle see man Pray tell which o' the parties won for weel I know I saw them run Both south and north when they began Tae pell and mell and kill and fell wi' muskets snell and pistols knell The two armies bivouacked near Sheriffmuir during the night, And around their camp-fires they talked concerning the coming fight. On 13 November 1715 the Earl of Mar led his Jacobite forces into battle with the Duke of Argyll's Hanoverian troops at Sherrifmuir. The Battle of Sheriffmuir. The Battle of Sheriffmuir, based on eye witness accounts - Bill Inglis – reviewed below RuckSack Readers Rob Roy and the Jacobites . The Battle Of Sheriffmuir 1715 Author Interview The Battle of Sheriffmuir 1715 – author interview. On 13 November 1715 the Battle of Sheriffmuir took place three miles North East of Dunblane and directly south of the Sheriffmuir Inn. This describes the Battle of Sheriffmuir from a Jacobite point of view and gives details of the losses on both sides. The Battle Of Sheriffmuir 'O, came you here the fight to shun, Or herd the sheep with me, man? The Battle of Sheriffmuir November 13, 1715 ... which were hastening uphill to the higher ground of Sheriffmuir in four columns of march were suddenly confronted by the right wing of the Hanoverian army.

Apparently Rob Roy came with men to fight but watched from Kinbuck, hesitating over split loyalties/consequences. 'I saw the battle, sore and tough, And reeking red ran many a ditch; My heart for fear gave sigh for sigh, To hear the thuds, and see the clouds Of clans from woods in tartan clothes, The Battle of Sheriffmuir. The Duke of Argyle's English army numbered eight thousand strong, Besides four hundred horse, posted in the rear all along. The two armies bivouacked near Sheriffmuir during the night, And around their camp-fires they talked concerning the coming fight. The Duke of Argyle’s English army numbered eight thousand strong, Besides four hundred horse, posted in the rear all along. On the battle of Sheriffmuir, giving losses and prisoners; also asking when the Dutch reinforcements will arrive 1715 Nov 14 SP 54/10/49 Postmaster Anderson, on Sheriffmuir, '^wherein bless'd be God we had the better, and hope soon to hear, that what remain of the rebels are intirely routed' 1715 Nov 14 ... both opposing left wings were defeated. Argyll, on hearing of the Jacobite advance, mobilized his army and marched out of Stirling to block Mar near Dunblane. The two armies bivouacked near Sheriffmuir during the night, And around their camp-fires they talked concerning the coming fight. The threat faced by the Duke of Argyle, who commanded the government forces, was stark. The Duke of Argyle's English army numbered eight thousand strong, Besides four hundred horse, posted in the rear all along. The outcome ought to have been certain, for the government army of between 3,000 and 5,000 men was opposed by a Jacobite army of greater than twice that number.
On 13 November 1715, the armies met at Sheriffmuir, five miles north of Stirling. The Battle was the culmination of the Jacobite Rebellion of that year. Or were you at the Sheriffmuir, Or did the battle see, man?' The Jacobites were led by the Earl of Mar and the government forces by the Duke of Argyll, a supporter of the Protestant monarchy.

The site of the battle is easily accessible on foot or by car.
And the centre of the first line was composed of ten battalions of foot, On the 10th November, Mar’s Jacobite army began to move out of Perth towards Stirling. The Sherramuir Fight Video: O, cam ye here the fight to shun, Or herd the sheep wi' me, man? The battle played out in a disorderly and unconventional way that resulted in no side being able to claim a clear victory.