It's only drawback is that it does not keep a fire as long as the heavy hitters like oak or even hard maple. Maple Firewood trees are widespread. The one downside I have seen over an over in my research is that it doesn’t make for good overnight pieces if you depend on wood to heat your home. The most desirable firewood in the world is not any good to me if I don't have access to it or it's too expensive to buy. This is the mainstream firewood favorite for wood stoves, and probably one of the all-around best logs for a wood burning stove. There is a terrible misconception about this maple. Maple: Maple firewood burns very similarly to Ash. ft. of natural gas at today's prices. Green firewood only gives off about 40% of the energy of dry firewood.

Maple Maple is a deciduous hardwood tree that has above average heating values. Maple can be found throughout the entire continental United States, making it a favorite firewood choice for wood stoves. So this means that I have a wood stove that I use during the winter, but I don’t need it to burn super hot all of the time. Wood is difficult to divide but produces a good fire. Wet wood and pieces that are not the right size and shape for your wood burner can be frustrating, burn inefficiently and deposit creosote that can fuel a dangerous chimney fire. 20. Red maple (soft maple) is excellent firewood. Cottonwood is a type of firewood that is known for producing a low heat. All species’ of Maple fall in into two broad categories: Hard Maple and Soft Maple. Hate to do all that work for if it’s less the desirable firewood. So if it is Norway maple, it would probably be better in the long run to get rid of it and pull up or mow any seedlings it may leave behind. Much of the energy generated from burning green firewood actually goes toward evaporating the water held in the wood. Wood that makes the best firewood for a fireplace is seasoned wood not green wood. Although there are many different species of maple, the sugar maple (sometimes referred to as the hard maple) may be one of the best known. It can be a difficult tree to split into manageable size logs but, once it is, it will create efficient and hot burning firewood. Maple firewood is a great firewood choice. Hard Maple is moderately good firewood, and Soft Maple is poor firewood.

Firewood cost is usually more stable than the cost of gas and fuel oils. While oak wood can take a little longer to become properly seasoned than other firewoods, the fire from well seasoned oak in your wood stove can’t be beat. At the end of the day when it comes to maple firewood, it’s a good one.

This wood would be a good fit for my situation. Question is does it make good firewood?

Each has a high BTU rating and are known for generating a lot of warmth and hot coals. 3. What's my favorite firewood type? My third favorite firewood would probably be ash. Whether you burn wood in a fireplace, stove or furnace, good quality firewood is the key to convenience, efficiency and safety. Soft maple usually refers to red maple and sometimes silver maple, which is sometimes called swamp maple. Hard Maple is denser than Soft Maple and produces a higher heat output. But as for burning otherwise, it’s a good kind of firewood to have handy.

Cottonwood. You've got better wood in N.H. for firewood than Red Maple.

As luck would have it, both sugar maple and beech are excellent for firewood. 2. Neighbor just had a Silver Maple fall from a storm. IF we had other higher BTU species to harvest here, I'd use them like we had in northern Mass: hickory, ash, oaks, Sugar Maples. It may require kindle from a softer wood to start the process. But all three have their advantages: Sugar maple has a good reputation for burning with few sparks and less smoke than what’s produced by other woods. Splitting wood: Wet wood is easier to split than dry wood.

Firewood Measurements - 1 cord measures 8 feet long, 4 feet high and 4 feet wide or 128 cubic feet Think about the cost of 1 cord of firewood vs. the cost of fuel oil or the cu. Other than being seasoned, the firewood should be abundant and easy to access. Maple is good firewood because it is readily available and it provides good heat.

These maples, as you might guess from the name, are softer and less dense than hard maples. Keep reading to learn more about Maple and what makes it a great choice for firewood. What do I think is the best firewood to burn?
Maple is one of the favorite firewood options. Firewood Guide to BTU Ratings. When properly seasoned, it produces long and steady burns in your wood burning stove. 11 Kinds of Wood Not to Burn in Your Fireplace 1. Green Vs. Dry Wood - Firewood should be dried (seasoned) to 10% to 20% moisture content for best burning performance. Green Wood or Unseasoned Wood. White ash, sugar maple and birch trees also produce excellent firewood, albeit not quite as good as oak and hickory.